HP Envy 7640 Printer - How to print from iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
AirPrint is the common and simplest way to print photos, documents, emails, or webpages from your Apple iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to most HP wireless printers, as it is built-in with almost all apple apps. Follow these guidelines to start printing with your AirPrint printer.
Print using Apple AirPrint
Initially, to print from any of your Apple apps to an AirPrint printer, the printer must be connected to the same wireless network as your Apple iOS device.
- Look for the wireless icon or go to the wireless feature settings and see if it is turned on and check if the printer is connected to your local wireless network.
Most of your printers will have the wireless icon on the front panel of your printer. Make sure that the blue light which is next to the wireless icon flashes.
- Open the Wi-Fi settings on your Apple device to verify if you are connected to the same local wireless network as your printer.
The public wireless networks, such as public mobile hotspots, Bluetooth, or cellular data connections, either 2G, 3G or 4G cannot be supported in AirPrint.
- Start printing by opening the document, photo, email, or webpage that you want to print.
- Touch the Shareicon or to display the set of menu options.
- Depending on the type of file that you want to print, touch Printor the Print After choosing the file type, the Printer Options menu displays on the mobile screen.
- Touch the option Select Printer on the Printer Options menu that displays. A list of printers that are available on the network is displayed.
- Choose your printer name from the list of printer options. Add changes to the print settings if needed and then touch Print.
Print settings available in AirPrint
Depending on the printer, Apple device and application that you are using to print from, the following print settings might be available. If your printer or app does not support any of the specific settings given below, the option does not display.
- Copies: Specify the number of copies that you want to print using the AirPrint printer.
- Range: Determine the page range that is to be printed in a multi-page document.
- Double-sided: See if your printer supports Duplex printing and then select to print on both sides of the paper.
- Black & White: Tap on the Black and White option to select the Black or color printouts.
- Paper: The type of papers that supports AirPrint are U.S. Letter, A4, U.S. Legal, 4 x 6 inch, and A6 paper.
What to do if the print job does not print?
While trying to print from your Apple device to your AirPrint printer using the Print action menu in AirPrint, the Apple iOS device shows that the print job is printing, but the print job does not print. Make sure of the following to resolve the issue.
Step 1: Check the wireless network connections
The Apple iOS device and the printer must be connected to the same wireless network before you start to print.
- Make sure that the wireless light is turned on and steady on your printer, and that the network status is Connected.
- Detect the network name (host name) from the wireless settings on the printer’s control panel or you can find the network name by printing a Configuration Report, Network Configuration Page, or Wireless Test Report.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is enabled on your Apple device and the Airplane mode is turned off.
- If the network strength is weak or if it displays only 2 bars or less on your Apple device, then move your Apple iOS device and router close together as much as possible, but no closer than 1.8 meters (6 feet).
- On your Apple device, look for the network name (host name) in the wireless settings.
- If the network name on the Apple iOS device is not similar to the network name used by the printer, you will have to connect your Apple iOS device to the network name used by the printer.
Try printing with your device now. If the printer still does not print, you can continue to the next step.
Step 2: Restart the router, printer, and Apple iOS device
Generally, restarting the devices can solve almost all problems that occur. Restart the router, the Envy printer, and the Apple iOS device, and then try to print again.
- Power off your router. If you are not aware of how to turn off your router, you can refer the router manufacturer for instructions on how to turn off the router.
It is not advisable to reset the router.
- Power off the printer by pressing the power button.
- Turn off your Apple device as well.
- Power on the router. Stay up for about 30 seconds to allow the router complete its start-up process.
- Turn on your Apple device.
- Press the Powerbutton to power on your HP printer.
Try printing with your device now. If the printer still, does not print you can continue to the next step.
Step 3: Clear the print queue on your Apple iOS device
Unfortunately, the print jobs that you perform may get stuck in the print queue. All you need to do is open Print Center on your Apple iOS device, delete or cancel the print queue, and then try to print again.
Cancel the print jobs in the queue using the steps given below and then try printing again.
To monitor or cancel current print jobs
While a print job is being transmitted to the wireless AirPrint printer, you will find Print Center displayed in the most recently used applications list. Print Center will be unavailable once you complete the print job.
- While transmitting a print job to the printer, press the Home button twice on your Envy 7640 printer to view the apps that is currently in use. Print Center is now displayed on the Home screen of your printer.
- Touch the Print Center app preview on your device to display the print queue.
- If the print queue contains only one print job, then the Print Summary window displays on the screen.
- If the print queue contains multiple numbers of print jobs, then the Print Order window opens on the screen.
- When the Print Center app is opened, you can observe the print job, or touch the first print job in the Print Summary or Print Order window, and then touch Cancel Printing to call off any print job.
Figure: Canceling a print job from your Apple iPhone
- Before you begin to repeat these steps in order to cancel any other print job, you will have to wait for the first print job to get canceled.
123-hp.computer is a third-party independent service provider for technical assistance with many major brands of hardware, software and peripherals. The brands, names, images, trademarks, products and services of third parties mentioned on this website are only for reference and to furnish information. We disclaim any ownership in, right to, affiliation with, or endorsement by, any such third parties unless stated. Users are advised to review our policies for website usage.